[GLLUG] Broadband/cable provider [OT]

Matthew Walster matthew at walster.org
Wed Mar 6 23:45:05 UTC 2013

On 6 March 2013 18:32, Christopher Hunter <cehunter at gb-x.org> wrote:

> The final straw was when they connected to Phorm (and persistently
> denied that they had).  I sued them. I won of course, and they bought me
> a very nice car....

As one of the guys running the network of Phorm's upstream during the time
they were launching, they almost certainly were not re-writing your
traffic. At the very most they were sniffing isolated sections of traffic,
but from what I gather, it never really went outside trials of limited
scope.

There are readers of this list that in fact work for Phorm.

What you're essentially saying to me above is "if you ever see my name on a
piece of paper with the words 'sales enquiry', shred it and don't ever
respond". I'd suggest that you almost certainly didn't take VM/Phorm to
court and get a payout that bought you a "very nice car" but I'd be at risk
of defamation of character if I carried on that line.

> You obviously have little or no grasp of the principles of distributed
> networking.

Not only do I "grasp" the concepts, I've designed them. Failed a couple of
times, learned from the experience, understand it a lot better as a result.

> I really don't give a Flying Leap what others do with their inter-web
> connection.  Publishers (of all sorts) need to catch up with the concept
> of digital distribution - it's already killed the conventional music
> industry (thank goodness - as a musician I was always being ripped off
> by those Charlatans).  The High Street was already dying, mostly due to
> the appalling homogenisation of brands and stores - the inter-web has
> just finished the process.  Again - please don't blame ME for that!.

Yes, digital distribution. If only people would offer you stuff over the
internet (Amazon MP3 store, Netflix, Lovefilm, iTunes Store, Spotify, etc
etc etc) you'd buy it. If the lure of free wasn't so attractive...

> Nope.  A bit of basic research shows that they're making just shy of
> 400% mark-up.

Doubt it. They provide a quality service and the customer pays for it. Have
you seen how much 1Mbit/s (320GB in a month) costs on BT 20CN/21CN
backhaul? Ouch.

> My fibre is being installed on Friday.  I'm going to get a proper
> service at about a fifth of the A&A prices, with better QoS and REAL
> guarantees rather than vague promises.

Better QoS eh? Teehee.

Anyway, we're waaaaay off topic now.