[GLLUG] Broadband/cable provider [OT]

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Thu Mar 7 06:49:59 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-03-06 at 23:45 +0000, Matthew Walster wrote:

> On 6 March 2013 18:57, Christopher Hunter <cehunter at gb-x.org> wrote:
>         On Wed, 2013-03-06 at 11:46 +0000, Matthew Walster wrote:
>         > All my media (incl. iTunes purchases from the last 7 years
>         etc) are
>         > stored on that server and mounted onto whichever device I
>         want to use,
>         > be it my laptop, my TV box (a RasPi) or whatever.
>

>         I trust you realise that you've just admitted to "piracy" in
>         the eyes of
>         iTunes.  Read your "Terms and Conditions" (in reality, they're
>         actually
>         unenforceable outside the USA!).
>

> No, I haven't. Read it again. Nothing precludes me from using external
> storage to store my licensed media.

I'm afraid you're entirely wrong.  This has been tested innumerable
times in American courts (it's unenforceable outside the USA at
present).  Your payment for each item to iTunes licences you to keep it
and play it on just one device.  When the battery in your expensive
iJunk dies, they will not allow you to transfer the material to another
device - even if you've paid out for another piece of overpriced
iRubbish!  Apple have recently developed a reputation for suing
schoolchildren in the 'States....