[GLLUG] Broadband/cable provider [OT]

Simon Wilcox essuu at ourshack.com
Thu Mar 7 09:47:18 UTC 2013

On 07/03/2013 06:49, Christopher Hunter wrote:
> Your payment for each item to iTunes licences you to keep it
> and play it on just one device.  When the battery in your expensive
> iJunk dies, they will not allow you to transfer the material to another
> device

Sorry but that's utter bullsh!t and I quote (from
http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/uk/terms.html#SALE):

  (i) You may auto-download iTunes Auto-Delivery Content or download
previously-purchased iTunes Eligible Content from an Account on up to 10
Associated Devices, provided no more than 5 are iTunes-authorized computers.

(ii) An Associated Device can be associated with only one Account at any
given time.

(iii) You may switch an Associated Device to a different Account only
once every 90 days.

(iv) You may download previously-purchased free content onto an
unlimited number of devices while it is free on the iTunes Service, but
on no more than 5 iTunes-authorized computers.

So if my "iJunk" dies, I just de-authorise it, authorise the new one and
re-download the content.

The terms also specifically allow for backups:

"As you may not be able to subsequently download certain
previously-purchased iTunes Eligible Content, once you download an item
of iTunes Eligible Content, it is your responsibility not to lose,
destroy, or damage it, and you may want to back it up. "

There is no specific mention of external storage being explicitly
allowed or disallowed although, since a server is most likely not
capable of being an "Associated Device" (i.e. specifically registered
with Apple via iTunes) one might argue that it falls outside of the
scope of the Agreement. I imagine that as long as the content is only
accessed by iTunes-authorised devices you'd have a strong case should it
ever be tested in a court of law but until it is, nobody knows and it's
foolish to speculate or make sweeping generalisations.

Sure, Apple are generally pretty evil (or perhaps just greedy) but
please get your facts straight when taking potshots at them.

Simon.