[GLLUG] Broadband/cable provider [OT]

Matthew Walster matthew at walster.org
Thu Mar 7 10:19:43 UTC 2013

On 7 March 2013 07:10, Christopher Hunter <cehunter at gb-x.org> wrote:

> ...because your morals are similarly suspect.  Virgin were successfully

sued by me, by my company, by my wife, her company and many of our
> friends and neighbours.  At the time, a new BMW 320i was ~£34000 and
> Virgin paid out enough to buy me one.
>
> A gagging clause in the conditions of the settlement prevents me giving
> you details of the principal of the claims against them - suffice to
> say, they made specious claims about their services, and were unable to
> provide what we were paying for and were not prepared to cease the
> "service" at no cost.  Their terms were found to be illegal, and the Law
> takes a really dim view of bad contracts...

You got £34000 compensation from a home broadband contract being not as
advertised? Chinny chin chin. There's something you're not telling us about
this, or this is entirely bollocks.

> > Not only do I "grasp" the concepts, I've designed them. Failed a
> > couple of times, learned from the experience, understand it a lot
> > better as a result.
>
> Perhaps I should point you towards all the networking software, firmware
> and supporting material that I've written since my retirement, but it
> would all fall on deaf ears because you know it all already.

That's nice for you. Service Provider networks are a meritocratic platform.
Clearly you've made a big impact on the industry because I've never heard
of you.

> You could probably learn some useful things if you switched off the
> offensive attitude.  In the meantime, don't bother me again with your
> sarcastic sniping.

I respond in kind. I'll stop when you stop. Be the bigger man.