[GLLUG] Broadband/cable provider [OT]

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Mar 11 22:32:44 UTC 2013

On 10 Mar 2013, Richard W. M. Jones verbalised:

> On Thu, Mar 07, 2013 at 09:00:52PM +0000, Nix wrote:
>> Agreed. Heck, I'm actually paying well over the odds for them, 'cos I'm
>> working from home and absolutely rely on my network service, so I'm
>> channel-bonding, which means roughly twice the price.
>
> Nix, I'm interested in how you're doing this.
>
> Is the channel bonding through A&A?  ie:
> http://aaisp.net.uk/kb-broadband-bonding.html

Yes, in conjunction with 'ip route add default nexthop ...' multipath
routing and Alexey Kuznetsov's dead route detection patches (since
otherwise the kernel persists in trying to send stuff out of a link
which is dead: with Alexey's patches, it figures it out on its own,
sooner or later: but you could do without those and use some other
link-up monitoring check if you wanted).

> You must have two separate physical lines, both from BT?

One from BT, one from Be. (One upon a time, the Be line was much more
reliable than the BT line. Currently, the opposite is true. I have never
lost both at once.)

--
NULL && (void)