[GLLUG] Maybe OT - Fail2ban and what triggers it

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Mon Mar 18 07:39:19 UTC 2013

Hi All,

I have a hosted CentOS VM I use for various things. I'd noticed failed
SSH login's quite some time ago and had installed Fail2ban to thwart
these. It works really well.

Recently, after noticing a period of fairly concerted attempts at
logins, I have slightly modified one of its scripts so that it runs a
stealth nmap scan of the login fail's source. The results are quite
interesting. The majority of the failures IP addresses resolve to
originate behind the Great Firewall and most of the sources look like
Linux machines, often Ubuntu. Normally there's SSH, Apache and MySQL and
quite often Samba visible, sometimes VNC and even X. If the scans
results were largely of routers then SSH and Apache wouldn't surprise
me, but they don't often run MySQL, Samba, VNC or X as far as I'm aware.
The ones appearing to originate behind the Great Firewall are not
uniform, mainly Linux but not all the same. To my surprise very few of
the results look like Microsoft machines, I haven't ever seen RDP.

What to conclude, are the Linux machines running behind the Great
Firewall all prone to some Malware that they run these hack attempts?
Why not elsewhere then? I had heard that computer users in that
environment are all required to run some type of 'health monitoring'
application. Does the Linux version of that have some extra features?

Interesting - to me anyway....

Ken

believed to be clean.