[GLLUG] Ruddy Debianites

Hearns, John john.hearns at mclaren.com
Mon May 13 10:52:19 UTC 2013

IIRC, up until *very* recently, a lot of satellites were running on pre-Pentium era hardware, not because it was "tried and trusted" but because they were more resistant to radiation interference.

Over in another galaxy, (the Beowulf maining list), Jim Lux from JPL often contributes.
He has lots of tales on the hardware used for space probes - as you say you can't just package up the latest and greatest CPU and fling it on a space probe.

BTW, as a total aside, astronauts on the way to the Moon saw bright flashes in their vision - due to cosmic rays.

I guess the ISS though is getting less of a dose as it is inside the Van Allen belts. I may be wrong.

The contents of this email are confidential and for the exclusive use of the intended recipient.  If you receive this email in error you should not copy it, retransmit it, use it or disclose its contents but should return it to the sender immediately and delete your copy.