[GLLUG] fscked usb

Hearns, John john.hearns at mclaren.com
Mon May 27 16:37:52 UTC 2013

> Its become apparent today that all of my usb system is fscked! in that
> i have to unplug and replug in the usb keyboard and mouse at bootup in
> lightdm greeter before they can be used. And then I have to do the same
> with 3 external hard drives. I also have a brand new printer that
> cannot be seen by 'lsusb', so I reckon that its fscked, but how do I
> correct it please?

Plug the printer into another system that you know has a good USB port?
Even if that system is running AN Other OS you could boot it with a live CD to do diagnostics.

Give us the output of  dmesg   after you have plugged the printer in, please.

Also in Linux there are two ways to enumerate new devices on the USB bus.
(I have done a lot of investigation of this).
You can set this using, as root:

echo Y > /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/old_scheme_first
echo Y > /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/use_both_schemes

This is documented in /usr/src/Linux/drivers/usb/core/usb.c

To be honest I don't think trying both schemes will help you. But give it a try.

The contents of this e-mail are confidential and for the exclusive use of the intended recipient.
If you are not the intended recipient you should not read, copy, retransmit or disclose its contents.
If you have received this email in error please delete it from your system immediately and notify us either by email or telephone.
The views expressed in this communication may not necessarily be the views held by McLaren Racing Limited.
McLaren Racing Limited | McLaren Technology Centre | Chertsey Road | Woking | Surrey | GU21 4YH | UK | Company Number: 01517478