[GLLUG] fscked usb

Sharon Kimble boudiccas at talktalk.net
Mon May 27 19:57:18 UTC 2013

On Mon, 27 May 2013 16:37:46 +0000
"Hearns, John" <john.hearns at mclaren.com> wrote:

Thanks John, comments in line.

> > Its become apparent today that all of my usb system is fscked! in
> > that i have to unplug and replug in the usb keyboard and mouse at
> > bootup in lightdm greeter before they can be used. And then I have
> > to do the same with 3 external hard drives. I also have a brand new
> > printer that cannot be seen by 'lsusb', so I reckon that its
> > fscked, but how do I correct it please?
>

> Plug the printer into another system that you know has a good USB
> port? Even if that system is running AN Other OS you could boot it
> with a live CD to do diagnostics.

I've only got this one computer, but I can try with a live distro
tomorrow when I have more time available. I did try it tonight, and
although the printer wasn't seen the usb devices did automount the
other external hard drives.

> Give us the output of  dmesg   after you have plugged the printer in,
> please.

That might be difficult whilst using a live distro, but I'll see what I
can do. I forgot to look, but I don’t think that the printer is
compatible with my usb setup.

> Also in Linux there are two ways to enumerate new devices on the USB
> bus. (I have done a lot of investigation of this).
> You can set this using, as root:
>
> echo Y > /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/old_scheme_first
> echo Y > /sys/module/usbcore/parameters/use_both_schemes

Right, done and just rebooting, to see what happens. Its made no
change, unfortunately.

> This is documented in /usr/src/Linux/drivers/usb/core/usb.c

Even with the correct url, it does not work as /usr/src/* because that
just contains linux-headers, linux-kbuild, nvidia, tp-smapi, so i'll
try to 'locate foo'.

Hmm,  locate usb.c
/etc/sane.d/mustek_usb.conf
/home/boudiccas/programmes/HP/hplip-3.13.5/io/hpmud/musb.c
which doesn't seem to be whats wanted.

> To be honest I don't think trying both schemes will help you. But
> give it a try.

Thanks, but neither of us get the gold-banded cigars :(

I'm thinking of doing a reinstall tomorrow, after a couple of good
backups as it appears that my usb automount works but not under this
setup atm.

Thanks again
Sharon.

--
A taste of linux = http://www.sharons.org.uk/index.html
Debian 7.0, Fluxbox 1.3.5, LibreOffice 4.0.3.3,