[GLLUG] Mobile Phone

Imran Chaudhry ichaudhry at gmail.com
Sat Nov 2 18:54:54 UTC 2013

Hi Mick,

I've only ever used HTC Android phones but recently switched to a
Lenovo A820 with a SIM-only contract. I think it is a good choice for
the cost-concious user that does not want to compromise on quality. I
bought a brand new model on eBay for ~£150 with a 1 year warranty, it
is dual-core, very fast, replaceable battery, nice camera and has a
nice size screen. It's made for the Chinese market but the seller put
an English ROM on it, works fine with my UK SIM. One unusual feature
is that it is dual-sim - but this is common in Asia.
Only two snags which may bother some: no digital compass, no message
notification light.

I'd recommend staying with Android whatever you go for - I think USB
tethering is just "play and play" for those phones with Linux which is
useful when on the go with a laptop.

Hope that helps.

On 2 November 2013 14:01, Mick Farmer <mick at plan7.co.uk> wrote:
> Dear GLLUGers,
>
> Vodafone recently informed me that I could upgrade my mobile.
>
> The store assistant thought that the Nokia Lumia 520 would be a good
> replacement.  However, it's a completely touch screen and it runs
> Windows, neither of which I like, so I'm not happy with his choice.
>
> What do my fellow Linux users recommend?
>
> Regards,
>
> Mick
> --
> Mick Farmer
>
> Registered Linux User# 551012

Key fingerprint = EF78 310C C517 9564 9ECA  82F6 68FA E621 17E1 5D16
http://about.me/imranchaudhry