[GLLUG] Help with Centos: old disks in new PC

Steve Parker steve at steve-parker.org
Sat Nov 9 13:14:26 UTC 2013

On 09/11/13 10:57, Alain Williams wrote:
> The caps lock & scroll lock lights are flashing. No disk activity that I can
> see.

That indicates a kernel PANIC; try editing the grub commandline (press
"e" at grub prompt) and add the letter "s" by itself at the end of the
kernel command line, eg:
   linux /vmlinux-2.6.xx root=/dev/sda3 s

If Jan's suggestions don't work, try this; It'll still panic, but you
shoud see the reason for the panic, which will get you closer to fixing it.

I'd really be inclined to do a clean reinstall and copy the data across
though

Steve