[GLLUG] Help with Centos: old disks in new PC

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Sat Nov 9 14:51:48 UTC 2013

On Sat, Nov 09, 2013 at 01:14:30PM +0000, Steve Parker wrote:
> On 09/11/13 10:57, Alain Williams wrote:
> >The caps lock & scroll lock lights are flashing. No disk activity that I can
> >see.
> >
> That indicates a kernel PANIC; try editing the grub commandline
> (press "e" at grub prompt) and add the letter "s" by itself at the
> end of the kernel command line, eg:
>   linux /vmlinux-2.6.xx root=/dev/sda3 s

I tried it, it made no difference. I did not expect it to work since I had
earlier tried:

    init=/bin/bash

> If Jan's suggestions don't work, try this; It'll still panic, but
> you shoud see the reason for the panic, which will get you closer to
> fixing it.

It would be nice to see the panic message; whatever there is is hidden by the
monitor being put into a strange mode. I did try ''vga=0'' (25x80 or similar)
but it still puts the monitor into some strange mode.

> I'd really be inclined to do a clean reinstall and copy the data
> across though

That will be my last resort: quite a lot of work went into customising the
machine. Also: what I am doing should work, it would be nice to learn why it is failing.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/