[GLLUG] RAID1 and Debian 7.2.0 installer

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Mon Oct 14 12:46:02 UTC 2013

On Mon, 14 Oct 2013 13:15:41 +0000 (GMT), Chris Bell
<chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk> wrote:
[snip]
>    Previous versions have allowed me to set each individual partition to
be
> used to contain RAID, on each disc, as bootable, so that either disc can
be
> the boot disc when configured as RAID1 and formatted, although GRUB2 was
> only installed to the MBR of one disc.

[just to separate two bits]

> There is no line to configure the
> RAID1 pair as bootable once the basic RAID layout has been defined.

Aren't you answering your own question here?  As you say, and as you said
in your original posting, there is no way to configure the RAID1 pair as
bootable after the RAID layout has been defined.  Therefore do it the same
way you always have (and the way I suggested) - set the partitions as
bootable *before* you combine them as a RAID1 array.

> I have
> just done a complete installation on to the machine with just the two
3TB
> discs, but it would not boot.

Given the apparent age of the machine and the size of your disks, you may
be running up against disk size issues.  Again I suggest putting a small
(by modern standards) boot partition at the start of the disk.

John