[GLLUG] RAID1 and Debian 7.2.0 installer

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Oct 18 11:36:15 UTC 2013

On 14 Oct 2013, Chris Bell said:

> On Mon 14 Oct, John Winters wrote:
>>
>> You may hit problems with partitions that size.  Have you consider a small
>> (256M) /boot partition first, then a large LVM partition afterwards, to
>> hold everything else?
>
>    Thanks for the reply.
>    Previous versions have allowed me to set each individual partition to be
> used to contain RAID, on each disc, as bootable, so that either disc can be
> the boot disc when configured as RAID1 and formatted, although GRUB2 was
> only installed to the MBR of one disc. There is no line to configure the
> RAID1 pair as bootable once the basic RAID layout has been defined. I have
> just done a complete installation on to the machine with just the two 3TB
> discs, but it would not boot.
>    The machine has 512MB DDR400 (200MHz) ECC RAM, and Knoppix finds "two
> 3GHz processors", so I think it should be capable of 64 bit operation if I
> can find more similar RAM.

The problems booting have nothing to do with 64-bitness: they have to do
with the old DOS partition table layout, which has no room for
partitions with either end located higher than 2Tb. If you want
partitions with either end higher up, you have to use GPT, which means
EFI booting as I understand it: horrible thought. I've managed to avoid
EFI for now by virtue of a hardware RAID controller which let me split
its array at the controller level into two logical devices, one for
booting, one very much bigger one (with no partition table at all) for
LVM.

--
NULL && (void)