[GLLUG] Broadband: Bethere -> Sky

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Mon Apr 7 10:10:12 UTC 2014

Hi

On Mon, Apr 07, 2014 at 10:52:06AM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
<snip>
> Is Sky FTTC different from other FTTC?  I had FTTC installed last
> month and it wasn't self-install by a long shot.  BT/OpenReach
> engineer had to replace the whole line from the pole outside to the
> house, drill a new hole in the wall, and fit a new socket.  I have two
> boxes: one VDSL2 modem + my own router.

That amount of work should not be needed for most FTTC ADSL installs.

The engineer's on-site work is usually just a case of disconnecting
the old router, switching face plates on the master socket, plugging
in a new ADSL modem (not router). Then you plug your own PPPoE router
into the ethernet socket of modem and set it up yourself.