[GLLUG] Broadband: Bethere -> Sky

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Mon Apr 7 19:25:58 UTC 2014

On 07/04/14 09:55, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 04/07/2014 09:02 AM, Matthew Copperwaite wrote:
>> So I was on O2 and Sky offered us an insanely good deal if we switched
>> before the merger was complete. So we took it. I have to say being owned
>> by Murdoch hasn't been too bad so far. The router is pants, I use it as
>> a bridge for my WRT54 (I couldn't get my DrayTek ADSL modem to work on
>> the Sky line) speed has been acceptable for my podcast but have yet to
>> deal with their technical side.
>>
>> So it's OK, but I couldn't recommend it unless you get an insanely good
>> deal.
>>
> that is interesting - i've been a bethere customer for many years, the
> Sky guys tried to upsell us to their brand pre-merger as well, but
> wanted £11 more than what I am paying at the moment, so I declined.

I'd been with BeThere since they started, and the Sky "deal" I was
offered was derisory.  They also couldn't make any speed or contention
estimates, so I went to BT Infinity 2.  Service is actually surprisingly
good (I even got an installer with a clue!), and circumventing their DNS
abuses is easy (which I do as a matter of principle rather than to get
to anything "dodgy").  Their price is pretty good, and the data rates
are quite remarkable.  I'm over 400m from the cabinet, but still get in
the region of 135 Mb/s down and over 42 Mb/s up.  Their default wireless
set-up tries to steal some of your bandwidth for "BT Wi-Fi", and this
cannot be disabled in their current router, so I replaced their effort
with a Draytek box and a couple of cheap TP-Link wireless access points,
and get great results.

Chris