[GLLUG] Spot the cheap Chinese fake

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Wed Apr 9 17:15:22 UTC 2014

On 09/04/14 15:42, Michael Peel wrote:
> Is it not better to just stick to a respected company when buying parts
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Sadly, no.  I bought some power supplies from a very well known (and
rather over-priced) supplier in Corby.  The things that turned up were,
frankly, dangerous.  I returned them for a refund, and pointed out that
these were very poorly made and liable to cause fires.  The supplier
still advertises them.

My new policy is to buy a sample, strip it down, examine it for build
quality, and return a kit of parts to the supplier and demand my money
back if the item doesn't meet the BS Safety Criteria.  This has
persuaded at least one supplier to drop a line of supposedly "high
quality" SMPSUs, but takes a lot of my time.  I now have my staff
examine the PSUs we buy in....

I've got very fed up with the nasty leakage through SMPSUs - even if
they're "safe" they can have significant leakage to the "low voltage"
side of the device.  I can't count the number of painful shocks I've had
from laptops and many peripherals when connecting them to desktop
machines.  I now use "linear" supplies for most of my gear, with proper
earthing!

C.