[GLLUG] Spot the cheap Chinese fake

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Wed Apr 9 20:21:47 UTC 2014

On Wed 09 Apr, Christopher Hunter wrote:

> On 09/04/14 15:42, Michael Peel wrote:
> > Is it not better to just stick to a respected company when buying parts
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone
> >
> Sadly, no.  I bought some power supplies from a very well known (and
> rather over-priced) supplier in Corby.  The things that turned up were,
> frankly, dangerous.  I returned them for a refund, and pointed out that
> these were very poorly made and liable to cause fires.  The supplier
> still advertises them.
>
> My new policy is to buy a sample, strip it down, examine it for build
> quality, and return a kit of parts to the supplier and demand my money
> back if the item doesn't meet the BS Safety Criteria.  This has
> persuaded at least one supplier to drop a line of supposedly "high
> quality" SMPSUs, but takes a lot of my time.  I now have my staff
> examine the PSUs we buy in....
>
> I've got very fed up with the nasty leakage through SMPSUs - even if
> they're "safe" they can have significant leakage to the "low voltage"
> side of the device.  I can't count the number of painful shocks I've had
> from laptops and many peripherals when connecting them to desktop
> machines.  I now use "linear" supplies for most of my gear, with proper
> earthing!
>
> C.

   Chinese mains volts are 220 +/-5% and many Chinese PSUs are labelled as
suitable for 110 to 240 volts. These are supposed to be absolute values, but
UK mains used to be a loose 240 volts, now specified so as to meet EU
requirements as 230 -5% +10% so up to around at least 253 volts, (and I have
seen nearer 260 volts). Friends who are importers now specify up to 265
volts.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk