[GLLUG] Broadband: Bethere -> Sky

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Sat Apr 12 13:00:30 UTC 2014

On 12/04/14 02:09, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> fwiw, my internet link switched over to sky 2 days back. I've gone
> from 1.2MBps uplink to 0.4; my downlink has stayed the same at 2.8Mbps;

You can expect to suffer further degradation of service:  Near
neighbours of mine have made the same change and it seems that their
contention ratio has gone through the roof - a previously consistent
~2.7Mbps now varies to as low as 0.2Mbps at peak times, and their uplink
speed is slightly less than 10% of their previous figure. They're
getting BT Infinity 2 installed on Tuesday.

Sadly, there are NO good quality, reasonably prices net services in this
country (and don't anyone bang on about A&A - they're hampered by the
abysmal service they're provided by BT!).

Just by way of illustration - my Helsinki address gets a genuine 200M
down 160M up service 24:7:365 for ~£8 per month.  My brother has an
office in Singapore, and he gets 120M both ways for ~$6 per month.
We're being robbed blind in this country (as usual) and receiving (at
best) a sub-standard "service".

C.