[GLLUG] Overclockers

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Mon Apr 14 21:31:36 UTC 2014

Hi

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 09:40:24PM +0100, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> I've had a hateful time not managing to buy a custom gaming system from
> Overclockers UK.
>
> http://t.co/YziLIb8Ge7
(real URL = http://blog.hinterlands.org/2014/04/buying-a-custom-gaming-pc-from-overclockers-uk/ )

Sounds like a straight forward case of breach of contract. Have you
tried to talk to your local Citizens Advice Bureau? Even just
mentioning that you are talking to them can get a relucant company
moving. Put your complaint to them in full in a written letter and
send it "signed for" along with a request for repayment in full at
the time that the goods are collected (if not before).

Sending cheques back and forth to consumers can be a real pain for
companies as most deal with credit cards now, but that should not
really be your problem. I can't really understand why they would want
you to send a second cheque for payment of goods you have already
bought.

The German connection sounds like a red herring. The company you buy
from must be made clear at the time of purchase and should have been a
UK company. If so then the refund should come from the same company
and UK law applies.

For future cases the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling)
Regulations 2000 is worth knowning about as it givew 7 days
cancellation period (without reason) for goods bought remotely
(eg Internet or telephone):
	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distance_Selling_Regulations