[GLLUG] Overclockers

James Hawtin oolon at ankh.org
Tue Apr 15 11:00:26 UTC 2014

On 15/04/14 00:16, Michael Peel wrote:
> I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience. I definitely won't be shopping there, sounds like a nightmare. Check out novatech.co.uk based in Portsmouth. I find their stuff to be reasonably priced and in my experience have great customer service.

Yes you do, however I had a situation with Scan who refused to accept
back a CPU fan, claiming I had "used" it and it was not now in a
sellable condition (for them means as new unopened), and refused my
return, I had even got scan sure cover on my order but they refused
under that to.

Ironically many of the things they claim to have done to the fan i know
I did not do, they claimed thread marks from attachment, the thermal
compound was squeezed, and that the bottom of the fan had residue on it,
all of which were not the case. What was the case was the spring clip
had been put on the flan and remove causing tiny amounts of paint to
come off the heat sink, putting the fan on, made me decide i did not
like the design!

Either way they refused my return of a 15 pound heat sink, as you do not
seem to be able to talk to people in Trading Standards any more they
were no help, and said they cannot help in indivual cases, so as it was
a Civil problem my ownly route would have been small claims court for a
minimum 30 pounds! and even if I won there, scan could just refuse to
pay and I might have to pay to get it enforce. Only if an item (not an
order) is over 100 pounds and paid by Credit Card do you get protection
via that route. I suspect Scan know they can get away with it for small
value items so do, I am sure the returns manager does not care he has
lost Scan a couple of thousand pounds of business, because I will only
now trade with scan if I absolutely have to.

This is why I like buying from amazon, they accept anything back under
DSR, shame really I would prefer to trade with a UK company.. but Meh!

James