[GLLUG] Small Form Factor PC

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Mon Aug 4 06:01:21 UTC 2014

On 03/08/14 23:32, Mick Farmer wrote:
> Dear GLLUGers,
>
> I'm thinking of buying a small form factor PC instead of a laptop for
> use as an entertainment hub at home.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations?  Are there alternatives?
>
> Regards,
>
> Mick
A slightly "off the wall" suggestion: have you seen the "Banana PI"?
It's a Chinese Raspberry Pi copy with uprated specifications: 1Gb RAM, a
SATA port, a faster processor and better sound.  I have used one with
XBMC for a little while, and haven't experienced the problems you
describe with the Raspberry Pi.  If you shop around, you can find one
for $45 - 55 delivered.  Mine came from Ali Express and took 10 days to
arrive.  The one minor "fly in the ointment" is that it won't quite fit
into a Raspberry Pi box - I put mine into an anonymous aluminium case
that I had in my workshop and drilled the necessary holes for the
connections.  So far, it works well.

C.