[GLLUG] Small Form Factor PC

JLMS jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 5 17:44:37 UTC 2014

On 4 August 2014 06:20, Paul Hewlett <phewlett76 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been using a raspberry pi with xbmc with some success. However the
> interface is very laggy and have been investigating a replacement recently.
> I also have a shuttle PC but would not recommend it as the wired Ethernet
> drivers for Linux are problematic.

I have used Shuttle computers for several years now and the ethernet ports
have never been an issue, I have used several distros and version,
including Centos 6 now with no issues, so I don't think Shuttle should put
anybody off in general terms.

The typical box may not be ideal as a media server because they are bulkier
than people expect for this function, but that allows to have a couple of
disks and a media reader of some denomination (normally DVD reader/writer,
but in Jessops I have seen a multi card reader instead), so one can build
resilience right there in the box.