[GLLUG] Amazon EC2 vs Hetzner dedicated box. Am I missing the obvious?

James Roberts j.roberts at stabilys.com
Wed Aug 6 10:08:31 UTC 2014

> I just don't understand how the cloud option is economically viable at
> current prices. OK, there's obviously the added reliability and less
> need for admin with SaaS but if you know how to manage your own boxen I
> can't see the advantage.

Err... yes! Agreed.

I can see some advantages for certain operations and applications where
you need to set up and tear down some test or other short-term infra,
but not for continuous use.

Various of our clients are having 'cloud' fluffiness dangled in front of
them with all sorts of temptations proffered, but it all comes down to
the return of the IBM agency model IMNSHO (and half of what is offered
is really remote managed desktop in some form).

Internal cloud with the ability to proliferate outwards when needed,
OTOH, is another argument altogether.

MeJ

--
Stabilys Ltd		www.stabilys.com