[Gllug] Wide eyed and innosent new members 21/10/02

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Fri Dec 26 01:27:03 UTC 2014

Kristian Davies wrote:

> Spooky t'was just the other day I was looking for a solution to this...and I
> found...
>
> >> http://www.beowulf.org/listarchives/linux-tulip-bug/1999/10/0036.html
>
> >>Also instead of reboot, this should work "service network restart"
>
> Not sure if this is of any use since im a complete n00b...

Hey, we all had to start somewhere.

The 'service' command controls the system services - for instance if you are
running a webserver,
this is one of the services.
To a Linux system, networking is just another service.
The service comand accepts a few arguments, which just about explain themselves
-
start,   stop,   restart,   status

So 'service network restart' is telling the system to shut down your network
connections, then
start them again.

ps. apologies if I've missed a argument to 'service'

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk