[GLLUG] Audio Production

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 20:46:47 UTC 2014

Hi,

I have written some device drivers for sound cards on Linux. I found that
the important thing from the listening perspective is not really noise. The
important thing is low distortion and high dynamic range. That is the main
difference between pro and hifi equipment. Your ears do not notice the
noise level during loud passages, it is in the quiet passages that you
notice it.
Generally, try to convert the signal to digital as early as possible, and
then convert at output as late as possible.
You can use much cheaper equipment for the digital part.
There are many things that can cause problems during the digital processing
part, such as buffer over runs, so that you need to choose software that
reduces buffer over/under runs as much as possible.