[GLLUG] Audio Production

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Fri Dec 5 23:25:28 UTC 2014

On 05/12/14 15:21, Chris Bell wrote:

As an aside, I am told that professional sound studios often prefer older
sound hardware which uses germanium transistors which are low noise compared
with silicon.

Having designed lots of professional audio gear over the years, I can assure you that germanium semiconductors are an order of magnitude noisier than silicon.  They're also very much more temperature sensitive and more fragile - physically and electrically.

As usual, the "audiophools" in recording studios haven't a clue about the gear they're using!

Chris