[GLLUG] portability and power

Justin Perreault justinperreault at dl-jp.com
Fri Feb 21 23:38:06 UTC 2014

Hi all,

It has been a while since I wrote. I hope everyone is well.

I would like a set up where I have 2-3 computers running the same
software and containing the same data files. I have been considering
rsync, csync, virtualisation, version control systems, servers...

All systems are potentially mobile and could be without network
connectivity. There is also potential for only one system to be
available to all users. They need to operate individually as well as
syncing files from each when connected.

If a system dies I want to clone the drive of another system and have it
just work at worst changing the system id.

Currently I sync files manually by moving files from one system to a
second then cloning the second to reinstall in the first and I clone a
spare as a backup. Currently I am not very efficient and occasionally
lose small files like utility spread sheets. I also use Fedora primarily
with luks encrypted hdd's, the encryption is a must though I am willing
to use other distros.

Am I being unrealistic? I have too many possible routes to explore and
need to get some direction on a viable path.

Suggestions for tackling this?

Many thanks,
Justin