[GLLUG] Broadcasting standards - was Re: Am I over-reacting to this?

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Tue Jan 21 08:35:31 UTC 2014

On Mon 20 Jan, Nix wrote:

> On 18 Jan 2014, Christopher Hunter verbalised:
> > It's amusing to note that the senior managers and editors who refused
> > to move, or were surplus to requirements with the decamp to Salford,
> > are all - to a man - still unemployed!
>
> Part of that might be that the employment prospects for journalists of
> all stripes is hardly bright these days, with the ongoing implosion of
> the paper news sector. (I don't know *anyone* my age or younger who buys
> a paper newspaper of any description. It's deader than classical music.)

   The BBC often used to recruit already experienced journalists from the
press, already experienced directors from theatres, retired competitors as
sports reporters, so specific knowledge and experience as required. There
were then in-house training and career proceedures provided by active staff
on temporary attachments giving a staged gain of learning and experience.
   The BBC was then required to accept staff trained by commercial training
colleges, some of which had very poor reputations and no actual hands-on
knowledge or experience that they could pass on. At the same time the BBC
was required to open its own training facilities at commercial rates to both
internal and external organisations, including many students placed and paid
for by their own governments. There was great reluctance within BBC
departments to pay the price.
   You often get what you pay for.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk