[GLLUG] Am I over-reacting to this?

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Tue Jan 21 20:03:45 UTC 2014

On 21/01/14 15:31, Nix wrote:
> On 21 Jan 2014, Alain Williams said:
>
>> On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 11:00:26PM +0000, Nix wrote:
>>
>>> It's deader than classical music.)
>> What is wrong with classical music - many people listen to it a lot ?
> Yes, but look at the audiences. Average age 60+, half of them seem to be
> barely able to walk. The only people in their 20s and 30s are the
> performers and a few members of the audience who have classical
> musicians as relatives. That is not a good sign for long-term health :(

"Classical" music certainly isn't dead:  We went to a concert of Baroque
music just before Christmas.  It was very good (a small orchestra,
directed from the continuo harpsichord, called the "Linden Ensemble"),
and was quite well attended by a remarkably wide range of ages.
Musically, it was a very special evening, and we're looking forward to
their next concert on 9th February in Belsize Park at St Stephens (a
de-consecrated church at the corner of Pond Street and Rosslyn Hill).

Their audience ranges from late teenage (predominantly university
students) to OAPs, with a bias toward the younger end.  Their repertoire
includes Bach, Handel, Monteverdi, Scarlatti, Purcell and many more
Baroque period composers.  There's nothing like a bit of Baroque and Roll!