[GLLUG] Am I over-reacting to this?

JLMS jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 21 17:10:47 UTC 2014

On 21 January 2014 15:31, Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> wrote:

> On 21 Jan 2014, Alain Williams said:
>
> > On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 11:00:26PM +0000, Nix wrote:
> >
> >> It's deader than classical music.)
> >
> > What is wrong with classical music - many people listen to it a lot ?
>
> Yes, but look at the audiences. Average age 60+, half of them seem to be
> barely able to walk. The only people in their 20s and 30s are the
> performers and a few members of the audience who have classical
> musicians as relatives. That is not a good sign for long-term health :(
>
> --
> NULL && (void)

So? A big chunk of the population will be over 60 quite soon, many of them
will have 7-10 years ahead of them still at work and then 10-15 years more
in a relatively healthy retirement.

People have been worried about the average age of audiences since I can
remember, I even  remember the "dead music" moniker being uttered by a
"journalist", allegedly  covering cultural matters, almost 30 years ago.