[GLLUG] RedHat spooked ?

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Wed Jul 2 23:01:25 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jul 02, 2014 at 10:17:19PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 09:41:44PM +0100, Alain Williams wrote:
> > * Are there any NSA back doors in RedHat - in the same way that
> > seems likely with products from Microsoft and other proprietary
> > vendors ?
> >
> > * Do the compiled RedHat binaries reflect exactly the sources that
> > they publish ?
> >
> > * Do any of the RedHat patches generate a NSA backdoor ?
>
> I was reading through the responses here wondering if people are
> really taking this -- frankly, nonsense -- seriously?
>
> Anyway: NO there are no backdoors added, by Red Hat, the NSA, GCHQ,
> the Illuminati, Microsoft, or anyone else.

I was hoping that you would reply. What you say is what I expected; and I
strongly suspect/hope that what you say is true - for much of the reasons that
you say. Unfortunately: the stakes are high, the NSA/... is well funded, patriot
act, etc, etc.

It is not a case that I don't believe you, it is a case that can I[**] afford to ?
You have, unfortunately, got to be regarded with suspicion - that is the world
that we live in that Edward Snowden has made plain.

Do not get me wrong: I have nothing against the folk at Red Hat; but you must
admit that you are a tempting target.

> Don't believe me because I work for the same evil corporation?  Grab
> the sources and check for yourself.  Recompile the binaries from the
> sources.  Disassemble Red Hat's binaries.

I am looking at doing that; however I doubt that doing binary compares is quite
so straight forwards.

> What's the motivation here?  Why would Red Hat risk putting back doors
> into the binaries or sources, that could be discovered with relative
> ease by researchers?  It makes no sense that we would risk our
> reputation like this.

[**] 'I' am prob not a target that is worth their while, but some others who do
use RedHat & the other big distros will be.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/