[GLLUG] Recommendations for an IPv6 capable ADSL/FTTC router

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Thu Jun 19 12:32:44 UTC 2014

Dear all,

I seek some information from the experience of others about so-called IPv6
enabled ADSL/FTTC routers.  So far I have the following on my list:

Billion BiPac 7800N
Supports IPv6 well.  A little prone to overheating due to poor case
design, but OK if you prop it up with good airflow.

Billion BiPac 7800DXL
Also claims IPv6 support but haven't tried it yet.  Has one fewer RJ45
ports.

TP-Link TD-W8970
Claims to support IPv6 but they're lying.  Does not support it at all on
UK ADSL lines, and from research on the net, even in countries where it
works a bit it doesn't work well.

Technicolor 582
Full support for IPv6, but configuration web pages are very poor and
seriously incomplete.  You frequently have to drop down to using the
(largely undocumented) command line in order to achieve basic configuration
functions.

Asus RT-N66U
Claims to support IPv6 but I can find no confirmation that theirs is any
more complete than TP-Link's.

Firebrick
Excellent support obviously, but seriously expensive.

Can anyone provide any recommendations from personal experience of routers
which actually do have full IPv6 support and work with PPPoA ADSL lines (or
indeed BT's FTTC VDSL modem)?

Cheers,
John