[GLLUG] Recommendations for an IPv6 capable ADSL/FTTC router

Andy Smith andy at bitfolk.com
Thu Jun 19 12:40:45 UTC 2014

Hi John,

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 01:32:09PM +0100, John Winters wrote:
> Can anyone provide any recommendations from personal experience of routers
> which actually do have full IPv6 support and work with PPPoA ADSL lines (or
> indeed BT's FTTC VDSL modem)?

For BT's FTTC, the box that does the routing just needs to run pppd,
so if you can find a cheap low power Linux box with 2+ Ethernet
ports that you are comfortable with then you can do all the IPv6 on
that and not have to deal with any awful web interfaces or
overheating issues.

I do this with a Soekris net4801 but I wouldn't suggest that as a
new purchase—it's way too expensive and slightly underpowered. I
just happened to have one lying around.

The Technicolor 582 it replaced did IPv6 but in general use the
Technicolor was far too painful for my tastes which is why I stopped
using it.

Cheers,
Andy