[GLLUG] Can a AOC VDU be addressed by Linux?

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Mon Mar 10 20:35:56 UTC 2014

On 10/03/14 15:10, Don Williams wrote:
> Any knowledge? A birthday pressie: Packard Bell (Acer) iMedia desktop
> pc running w8.1 with an AOC i2369 full HD 23" LED monitor (using HDMI
> or DVI). All very fine, but I want to install Linux.
>     I tried (after avoiding secure boot) with Mint 16, but a window
> opened to show a report on X.org failing. Too lengthy to write down
> nor ability to send it somewhere to allow printing-out. Um.
>     Apparently the monitor reads from the AMD E1-2500 APU with Radeon
> HD 8240 graphics.
>     Are there any with experience in this quarter, or how-tos
> governing this process, or am I permanently lumbered with windoze?
>     TIA, Don Williams

I'm afraid I can't tell you anything about the Acer box, but I use an
AOC monitor at work with Debian and Ubuntu.  It Just Works^(TM).  As
someone else suggested, it's probably a weirdness with the Radeon video
card.  A quick Google and some tweaking should sort you out.

As an aside - a quick test is to boot "Puppy" from a USB stick. It's
really good at configuring all sorts of hardware automagically, and is a
great way of proving Linux compatibility of obscure hardware.

Good Luck

Chris