[GLLUG] Can a AOC VDU be addressed by Linux?

Jan Henkins jan at henkins.za.net
Mon Mar 10 20:16:19 UTC 2014

Hello Don,

On 10/03/14 15:10, Don Williams wrote:
> Any knowledge? A birthday pressie: Packard Bell (Acer) iMedia desktop
> pc running w8.1 with an AOC i2369 full HD 23" LED monitor (using HDMI
> or DVI). All very fine, but I want to install Linux.
>     I tried (after avoiding secure boot) with Mint 16, but a window
> opened to show a report on X.org failing. Too lengthy to write down
> nor ability to send it somewhere to allow printing-out. Um.
>     Apparently the monitor reads from the AMD E1-2500 APU with Radeon
> HD 8240 graphics.
>     Are there any with experience in this quarter, or how-tos
> governing this process, or am I permanently lumbered with windoze?

I doubt it very much that it is your screen. Even though AOC is not
quite as well known as other brands, they OEM LG panels. My bet is on
the Radeon chipset that needs to be coddled a bit. Unfortunately I don't
have any direct experience with the latest Radeon chipsets, so cannot
point you to a relevant HOWTO. Still, don't lose heart! It might end up
being a bit fiddly in the end, but that's how we learn.

--

Regards,
Jan Henkins