[GLLUG] problem with grub

Ben Whyall ben at whyall-systems.co.uk
Sat Mar 15 12:31:30 UTC 2014

On 15/03/14 11:29, Chris Bell wrote:
> On Fri 14 Mar, Ben Whyall wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> How do I get a list of uuid from grub command line.
>>
>> I have tried setting root=/dev/md0 which is where the /boot is but that
>> just sits at loading initial ramdisk .... and doesnt seem to do anything.
>>
>> Ben
>>

>     There have been recent changes to the Debian Sid and Jessie installers,
> so it might be worth downloading the latest daily or weekly (17.4.2014)
> versions and running the recovery packages.

Hi

I have done some further investigation and found some additional
information.

When I am being dropped out to the initramfs, I dont have enteries in
/dev/disk/by-uuid for any of my lvm logical volumes.

If I do a lvscan, they are all showing as inactive.

A vgchange -a y activates them and populates the entries in
/dev/disk/by-uuid.

If I then exit the initramfs by typing exit, it will boot to a login.  I
can then login.  The / partition is mounted and I am able to mount the
other partitions from lvm.

If I then logout and back in, I have a mostly working system.  However I
have to manually bring up the eth0.  Also as none of the init scripts
seem to have run successfully some things dont work.

Just wondering what might cause that.

Ben