[GLLUG] Hard Drive recommendations

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 14:59:38 UTC 2014

On 21 March 2014 13:58, Dylan <dylan at dylan.me.uk> wrote:
> On 21/03/14 13:34, Chris Howells wrote:
>>
>> Buy a bunch of different brands and models, perhaps from different
>> vendors. This will lessen the risk that you suffer from an inherent
>> manufacturing or design defect simultaneously.
>

> Not for a domestic hobby machine on a budget...

I don't think it really matters which you get.
Make sure you have good backups ready for when one fails and you will be fine.
If you can't accept downtime, use RAID or Mirrored disks.
RAID is only ever used for performance and/or better uptime.
RAID is never used for backup purposes, because what happens if your
house burns down, all HDDs in the RAID array will be damaged!
In my experience, laptop HDD fail quite often, mainly due to
accidental shocks etc.
Desktop HDD tend to last longer.
I use SSDs in my laptop so it won't mind about accidental shocks etc.