[GLLUG] Hard Drive recommendations

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Fri Mar 21 17:38:47 UTC 2014

On Fri, March 21, 2014 07:20, Dylan wrote:
> I'm looking to get a new hard drive for data storage and to accommodate
> 3D graphics rendering data. It will be a 3 to 4TB SATA-3 drive Are there
> any brands/models to avoid at the moment, or any other gotchas I should
> be aware of?

Pretty much everyone on this list will have:

* A small number of manufacturers they recommend because their disks have
never or rarely failed.
* A horror story about other manufacturer(s) whose disks they now avoid.

All manufacturers will eventually be listed in the above two categories if
you ask enough opinions, thus rendering the whole thing moot.