[GLLUG] GLLUG web site (Was Re: Job Posting? not sure this is the right place but feel free to shoot me down!)

Andy Smith andy at bitfolk.com
Wed May 7 18:14:47 UTC 2014

Hi Matthew,

On Wed, May 07, 2014 at 03:53:08PM +0100, Matthew Copperwaite wrote:
> Hi, I have access to edit the site.

Great! I see it seems to be a Serendipity CMS - I take it this is
something you just have access to edit, no access to the underlying
host that it's on, right?

Are you in a position to give out additional editor access if you
feel like you need some more volunteers?

> I would have liked to do more with the site but I have been setting up the
> South London Makerspace which has taken up a great deal of my spare time.

Ah, I thought I recognised the name when we were talking about that!

> I would be interested to know what needs updating

It's mainly that I noticed that:

    http://www.gllug.org.uk/index.php?/archives/3-Online-Discussions.html

still lists the original list as down and shows the other list info
- which no longer exist - there still.

I don't think anyone has particularly missed the other two lists
have they? Seems like *this* list could do with more traffic even if
it is "announce" or "social".

There's also that the front page looks kind of bad with only a
months old meetup advertised but perhaps the fix for that is to have
more meetups. :)

> I had noticed the site has sometimes been unresponsive in the last week, I
> don't run the servers or the domain, I don't know where they rest, so there
> is a demand to update things. Possibly bring it all under the
> lug.org.ukservice although not having access to the DNS makes this
> harder.

Do you keep backups of the site at all, or know who does? That's
probably the priority as I suspect the site is run by Jason Clifford
who can be difficult to contact, and there may not be accessible backups.

It seems like a good idea for us to get access to the domain
registration as well in the longer term, for similar reasons - it
would be a shame to lose gllug.org.uk in the event of Jason
disappearing.

Cheers,
Andy