[GLLUG] GLLUG web site (Was Re: Job Posting? not sure this is the right place but feel free to shoot me down!)

Matthew Copperwaite mattcopp at gmail.com
Sun May 11 14:33:31 UTC 2014

Any one is welcome to pop down on Wednesday evenings to have a look at the
makerspace :)

On 7 May 2014 19:14, Andy Smith <andy at bitfolk.com> wrote:

> Hi Matthew,
>
> On Wed, May 07, 2014 at 03:53:08PM +0100, Matthew Copperwaite wrote:
> > Hi, I have access to edit the site.
>
> Great! I see it seems to be a Serendipity CMS - I take it this is
> something you just have access to edit, no access to the underlying
> host that it's on, right?

Yes, exactly. No idea what it's running on. It sometimes seems to become
quite lossy at the moment.

> Are you in a position to give out additional editor access if you
> feel like you need some more volunteers?

It looks like I might be able to.

> > I would have liked to do more with the site but I have been setting up
> the
> > South London Makerspace which has taken up a great deal of my spare time.
>
> Ah, I thought I recognised the name when we were talking about that!
>
> > I would be interested to know what needs updating
>
> It's mainly that I noticed that:
>
>     http://www.gllug.org.uk/index.php?/archives/3-Online-Discussions.html
>
> still lists the original list as down and shows the other list info
> - which no longer exist - there still.

Yes, anything temporary becomes permanent in this world ;) I knew that at
the time.

> I don't think anyone has particularly missed the other two lists
> have they? Seems like *this* list could do with more traffic even if
> it is "announce" or "social".

Yup, totally agree.

> There's also that the front page looks kind of bad with only a
> months old meetup advertised but perhaps the fix for that is to have
> more meetups. :)

Before the ones I put on it had a 2 year old meeting on it ;) and to be
honest it is a testament to the guilt I feel about not being able to put a
meet on recently. I'm happy for people to just name a pub and a time but
not had many people take that on.

> > I had noticed the site has sometimes been unresponsive in the last week,
> > don't run the servers or the domain, I don't know where they rest, so
> there
> > is a demand to update things. Possibly bring it all under the
> > lug.org.ukservice although not having access to the DNS makes this
> > harder.
>
> Do you keep backups of the site at all, or know who does? That's
> probably the priority as I suspect the site is run by Jason Clifford
> who can be difficult to contact, and there may not be accessible backups.

Good point, I just did an export of the RSS feed though Serendipity.

> It seems like a good idea for us to get access to the domain
> registration as well in the longer term, for similar reasons - it
> would be a shame to lose gllug.org.uk in the event of Jason
> disappearing.

Indeed. Would be good to grab even an hour of Jason's time to sort out the
DNS and resolve this. I know some people have seen him around if you could
get him to contact me.