[GLLUG] Re-configuring network settings in Debian Jessie

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Mon May 19 12:35:44 UTC 2014

On Sun 18 May, Dylan wrote:

> >     Time to re-install and stop using KDE!
>
> That's a bit extreme...

   It was re-setting the resolv.conf to use a DNS server that no longer
existed and not a new DNS server on a new box. I think the NetworkManager
should be configured to stop doing this if some files are already present.
   It is not the only thing that has wasted a lot of my time, the Nepomuk
search facility kept crashing one box by creating a file large enough to
fill all available disc space every few days because it was attempting to
list the enormous number of already indexed files on a 1TByte external
drive. On re-boot the crashed file was deleted by fsck leaving no trace of
problems. I have to go round new boxes turning OFF unwanted facilities
rather than not installing what I do not want.

Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk