[GLLUG] Default alias for unknown users?

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Thu Nov 27 18:10:48 UTC 2014

Chris Bell <chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk> writes:

> On Wed 26 Nov, Alain Williams wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 08:17:11PM +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >    I have several aliases set up in /etc/aliases, but is it possible to
>> > create a default alias for otherwise unknown user names to a defined
>> > destination? Putting
>> >
>> > *: destination
>> >
>> > at the end of the file does not appear to work.
>>
>> What MTA are you running ?
>>
>> What you have given should work with exim.
>>
>    Thanks for the reply.
>    I am using exim4 on Debian Jessie (testing) on a local mailserver and was
> trying to check that emails from a supplier to a username specific to that
> supplier would be accepted by the mailserver. I ended up adding a specific
> alias, and that did work.

If you're just doing that for testing, fair enough, but if you want
per-supplier addresses to give out without needing to pre-configure
things and not wanting a general wildcard address, you're much better
off using suffixes.

For exim, IIRC you do that with the local_part_suffix setting, allowing
you to give out addresses e.g. for a supplier called 'gllug':

  chrisbell+gllug at chrisbell.org.uk

Cheers, Phil.