[GLLUG] New printer needed

Roger Dormer roger.dormer at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 16 16:41:54 UTC 2014

Hi there,
I've just replaced my Deskjet 520! with a Canon Pixma multifunction
printer and have it installed with Debian 7.
It's working fine. Sane however, cannot find it for scanning.
It does scan from GIMP very well though, but due to me being a recent
refugee from Windows, and a bear of very little brain, it only works
from the root account.
I haven't researched the cost of consumables.
Hang on, I haven't tried Sane from the root account...
Only Windows drivers come with the machine. I downloaded .deb packages
from the Canon site and installed them (eventually).
Is CentOS Red Hat based? I'm sure .rpm packages were available, but
please check with the Canon web-site to make sure before committing
yourself.
Good Luck!
Roger.