[GLLUG] Dual monitors on Ubuntu 14.04 with Gnome

Christina Nicolau christina.androne at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 16:19:15 UTC 2014

First of all thank you for coming back to me. Please see below my replies.

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 4:34 PM, michael norman <michaeltnorman at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 18/09/14 15:50, Christina Nicolau wrote:
>
>> Hi everybody
>>
>> I am hoping there's anyone here able to help me set up dual monitors on
>> Ubuntu 14.04 LTS with the latest Gnome desktop.
>>
>> Here's the story:
>> - Dell Precision desktop
>> - Fresh Ubuntu install
>> - Fresh Gnome install (configured to run on top of lightDM)
>>
>> What I want: dual monitors display (I have one on VGA and the other on
>> DVI). By dual monitors display I mean having 2 monitors, moving windows
>> between them, maximizing a window will expand it to just one monitor etc.
>>

> I have here Linux Mint 17 which I think is the equivalent of your Ubuntu.
>
> I am running Mate desktop and the video card is NVIDIA . I installed the
> same driver you did from Additional Drivers.  Result here is it just works.
>
> I am unfamiliar with Ubuntu and Gnome but if Gnome has an equivalent of
> the hardware monitor settings button in whatever is the equivalent of
> Control Center here check first that 2 monitors are found.  If not uncheck
> same image on all monitors.

You seem to be correct. The NVIDIA X Server Settings just does not see my
second monitor. So uncheck same image on all monitors does not even exist
in my settings (I have seen a screen shot of how that settings window is
supposed to look like but mine does not have that option. Presumably is
pops up just when multiple monitors are detected!).

> Failing that you do not say which NVIDIA card you are running, you should
> check that, have a look on the NVIDIA linux drivers page for the best
> driver available.  If that differs from v 331.38 look again at the options
> you find in Additional Drivers and see if the NVIDIA recommendation is
> there.  If it is try that.
>
> If it isn't you will need to install the correct driver yourself.  The
> NVIDIA docs will tell you how to do that.  Other options will be found on
> any Ubuntu forum.
>
> Other than all that without knowing what your hardware is it is difficult
> to advise further

I will try checking Nvidia website for a more recent driver.

In the meantime, some info that could be considered useful: my hardware
info says I have one display of 3840x1080 and 2 monitors of 1940x1080,
which seems to be correlated with what's happening. It's just doing some
sort of streching instead of dual monitors but I can't find how to turn
that off.

Also, my xorg.conf says, if that's of any use:

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "layout"
    Screen 0 "nvidia"
    Inactive "intel"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "intel"
    Driver "intel"
    BusID "PCI:0 at 0:2:0"
    Option "AccelMethod" "SNA"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "intel"
    Device "intel"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "nvidia"
    Driver "nvidia"
    BusID "PCI:1 at 0:0:0"
    Option "ConstrainCursor" "off"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "nvidia"
    Device "nvidia"
    Option "AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration" "on"
    Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "CRT"
EndSection

And my hardware info is:

-PCI Devices-
PCI bridge        : Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core
Processor PCI Express x16 Controller (rev 06) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])

*VGA compatible controller        : Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th
Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06) (prog-if 00 [VGA
controller])*PCI bridge        : Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series
Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #1 (rev d4) (prog-if 00 [Normal
decode])
PCI bridge        : Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family
PCI Express Root Port #2 (rev d4) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
ISA bridge        : Intel Corporation C226 Series Chipset Family Server
Advanced SKU LPC Controller (rev 04)
SMBus        : Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family SMBus
Controller (rev 04)
*VGA compatible controller        : NVIDIA Corporation GK107GL [Quadro
K600] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])*
PCI bridge        : Texas Instruments XIO2001 PCI Express-to-PCI Bridge
(prog-if 00 [Normal decode])

I have to say I have no idea why there's two of those things!