[GLLUG] Dual monitors on Ubuntu 14.04 with Gnome

michael norman michaeltnorman at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 15:35:16 UTC 2014

On 18/09/14 15:50, Christina Nicolau wrote:
> Hi everybody
>
> I am hoping there's anyone here able to help me set up dual monitors on
> Ubuntu 14.04 LTS with the latest Gnome desktop.
>
> Here's the story:
> - Dell Precision desktop
> - Fresh Ubuntu install
> - Fresh Gnome install (configured to run on top of lightDM)
>
> What I want: dual monitors display (I have one on VGA and the other on
> DVI). By dual monitors display I mean having 2 monitors, moving windows
> between them, maximizing a window will expand it to just one monitor etc.

I have here Linux Mint 17 which I think is the equivalent of your Ubuntu.

I am running Mate desktop and the video card is NVIDIA . I installed the
same driver you did from Additional Drivers.  Result here is it just works.

I am unfamiliar with Ubuntu and Gnome but if Gnome has an equivalent of
the hardware monitor settings button in whatever is the equivalent of
Control Center here check first that 2 monitors are found.  If not
uncheck same image on all monitors.

Failing that you do not say which NVIDIA card you are running, you
should check that, have a look on the NVIDIA linux drivers page for the
best driver available.  If that differs from v 331.38 look again at the
options you find in Additional Drivers and see if the NVIDIA
recommendation is there.  If it is try that.

If it isn't you will need to install the correct driver yourself.  The
NVIDIA docs will tell you how to do that.  Other options will be found
on any Ubuntu forum.

Other than all that without knowing what your hardware is it is
difficult to advise further