[GLLUG] Dual monitors on Ubuntu 14.04 with Gnome

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.org.uk
Thu Sep 18 17:53:45 UTC 2014

Also top posting from the phone (oh for a decent mobile email client).

My view would be that the correct way to fix this is to remove the proprietary drivers, use Nouveau, and xrandr should work properly. From the op's description however, although that "works", it has performance and rendering issues that sounds to me like driver bugs. So, she had the choice of trying to upgrade to a version of nouveau that fixes this, if one is available, or using the proprietary drivers.

The latter do screen spanning using a custom option called " TwinView", which is unrelated to the standard X stuff. The Arch Linux wiki has some good information. I can't help a lot here - I never buy nVidia as I have no interest in supporting them given their attitude to free software, and their driver doesn't support things I care about (like xrandr and colour management).

Mike