[GLLUG] problem installing Fedora on RAID device

bridget at vfemail.net bridget at vfemail.net
Sun Sep 21 00:25:31 UTC 2014

Hello GLUGers,

Does anyone know why I might be having problems installing fedora on a
computer with a raid device? I inherited the computer which already
had fedora 13 installed and working fine except when it came to trying
to update it. I was told by the system that it could not update
because the boot was on RAID dm-1 (don't know exactly what that means
but suspect it has something to do with the configuration of the
disks) So I decided to try a fresh install of Fedora (20) from a live
CD, however I could only install it in basic graphic mode and it does
not work properly, it is slow and jerky and I can not install any
applications or update anything (eg flash plug ins). If I install it
in normal mode it does not load properly after re-booting, just
freezes. If anyone has any ideas as to why this is so I would greatly
appreciate hearing from you. The RAID device is a mirrored 298GB disk
with a SATA controller.

Thanks in advance
Bridget