[GLLUG] Linux environment for software development

DL Neil GLLUG at GetAroundToIt.co.uk
Sun Sep 21 22:07:25 UTC 2014

>> A different question this time, exploring other options too.. what OS
> are you using for software development?
>> I am looking for something to run IntelliJ in and others of that
> sort... and works with 2 monitors :). This will be for development with
> Maven and Hadoop and for a while I need them hosted on this desktop.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
> I know it is not widely known as a development environment but latest
> centos that is centos 7 has development capabilities and is used as such
> by some people including me

Am also a CentOS user - but not primarily a coder.

I'd recommend some testing to temper Andrzej's enthusiasm (hey, that's
what VMs are for!) - over the years* I have noted 'disconnects' caused
by CentOS' conservative software selection strategy, eg PHP versions,
Python (somewhat self-inflicted), gcc (etc), JDK versions, and most
recently Node.JS and associated widgets.

In short, one can't expect to have both "latest release" and
"stability". Accordingly if you want 'the latest' dev tools at the
fastest-moving (?by which they mean "changing") end of the dev.tools
spectrum, I'd doubt (am not using IntelliJ) that our favorite distro
will make you a good home - but YMMV!

General advice: one is best# sticking with either apt (Debian, et al),
rpm (RHEL, et al), or YaST (SuSE).

Thus I run CentOS for its stability (and consistency with clients
running RHEL!) and resort to configuring a Fedora VM@ when called-upon
to face the bleeding-edge. If you are not so server-centric, the Mint or
Ubuntu desktop distros may be just-the-ticket...

* ever since Karanbir took me aside at a trade show and 'persuaded' me...
# us easily-confused types are frequently gotcha-ed by inherent
differences between distributions
@ which tactic may not be possible in a Docker environment

--
Regards,