[GLLUG] Paid help sought

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Thu Mar 26 13:22:48 UTC 2015

Rob Bowman <rob at artangel.org.uk> writes:

> Is it possible to host the files on a local network in a way that
> makes having actual internet connectivity totally redundant if the aim
> is JUST to allow access to the sound files (assuming I don’t want
> internet for anything else)?

Sure.

So, you have some music, and you want people to access it locally via
wire or wireless, is that right?

You should be able to just get a router that has a USB port, assuming
the bilt in firmware allows the sort of sharing, including any restrictions you
want to enforce -- no need to bother with the routing bit.

You could do worse than the TP-Link TL-WR1043ND

I note that they have a new version (v2) in a curved, black box.  I've
only used the older white rectangular model, but have liked them.  Then
again, I've not really looked at the stock firmware, as I generally use
OpenWRT.

This may give you some inkling of what you can do with it:

  http://www.tp-link.com/resources/document/TL-WR1043ND_V2_Storage_Sharing_Application_Guide.pdf
  http://www.tp-link.com/resources/document/TL-WR1043ND_V2_Media_Server_Application_Guide.pdf

The full manual's on their support site too, but I'd guess that the
simplest thing to do is buy one from a retailer that makes returns easy,
give it a try, and send it back if you don't get on with it.

Cheers, Phil.